LearnSprout is Growing!
Big News! Today we announce our latest new hire, Paul Smith!
Paul joins us from Pearson after a 12-year run championing the PowerSchool student information system. A former 4th grade teacher, Paul will help us navigate the tumultuous and often mysterious waters of the K-12 edtech scene, heading up our marketing initiatives. Join us in welcoming Paul to the LearnSprout family!
Now Hiring: Mission-Driven Engineers to Improve Education
You, driven by zeal to apply your coding skills to something more worthy than virtual farming, will help define how the next generation of educational software will be built and deployed.
Supported by ImagineK12, Code for America, Andreessen Horowitz, Formation|8, and an awesome network of angel investors.
Location: San Francisco, CA (in the heart of SoMa)
Our tech stack:
- MongoDB, all SQL variants
- Linux, multi-cloud infrastructure
- LearnSprout Connect – our developer API service for school information
- LearnSprout HallPass – our identity service for students and teachers
- LearnSprout Provisioning – our developer service to provide easy app distribution
What we want:
- Passion for education (industry experience is a plus)
- Familiar with or desire to learn a variety of programming languages and databases
- Willingness to roll your sleeves up and tackle customer issues
- Flexible with task prioritization and thrives in a fast-paced startup environment
What we need:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
What you get:
- Highly competitive compensation package
- Generous tech hardware budget to get you comfortable
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
Still interested? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d like to see your resume, GitHub profile and a bit about why you’d like to work for LearnSprout.
New Products & Services
Our team has been hard at work creating new features. We’re excited to announce our first suite of products and services designed by demand. Our customers have been very vocal about how we can help them with data integration and these are a few of our most requested services. If these sound interesting to you, sign up on our website to learn more or get started!
Connect: Connect provides simple access to data locked away in student information systems. With our flexible integration technologies, LearnSprout is able to tap into any SIS and serve you with the most up to date data. Build once to the LearnSprout API and pull data from your partner schools or any other school in the LearnSprout network.
Provision: Provision makes it painless to bring new technology into the classroom. With the student and staff information available from LearnSprout Connect, we’ll create all the necessary accounts so students and staff will be ready to go start when adopting new technology.
Hallpass: Avoid the headaches of provisioning and account management with LearnSprout Hallpass. Have your Connect enabled schools automatically provisioned with Hallpasses which are unique to each student or staffer. Built with the intelligence of the LearnSprout network, it is the smart and easy way to manage accounts.
Verify: As data specialists, we detect data integrity and quality issues when you Connect your SIS to the LearnSprout network. If you need data quality data from missing fields to mismatching IDs, LearnSprout has it.
Come and get your Libraries!
To all of you developers out there who gave us a ton of feedback around our APIs, thank you so much. We’re happy to say we just released a couple of helper libraries to our developer community. This should bootstrap you onto the LearnSprout APIs much faster. The libraries can be found here:
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at support [at] learnsprout.com.
Also, special props to one of our developer members who built our Ruby Library, Kabuko.
The Birth of LearnSprout
As we continue to build our product out and work with our amazing educators to solve the data fragmentation need, we wanted to step back and reflect on why we started this company in the first place.
Back in October, the LearnSprout team realized a large problem in the education space regarding data within schools and districts. When helping a school find a solution, we realized there were only 3 current solutions out there but highly inefficient:
- Solve it by throwing people at it: E.g. Creating more inefficiencies and burning through more cash.
- A multimillion dollar data-ware house project: Only a few select schools/districts have this luxury.
- Don’t solve it and use Excel or paperwork to mitigate the problems: Where most schools are currently.
Coming from the consumer product world, we were convinced that there must be a cheaper, more efficient way to solve this problem without costing jobs or throwing more money at it. As we dug deeper into the problem, working with different schools and administrators we discovered a solution and thus LearnSprout was born.
We want to solve every school’s data fragmentation problem by unifying their datasets, automating their processes, and cut their costs of managing and operating their data.
- LearnSprout Mission Statement
With that, we are excited that in a couple of weeks we will be launching a suite of products we’ve been building with the help and feedback of a multitude of teachers and admins.
The LearnSprout Team